2011 Significant Accomplishments
- Membership: 26% growth with 131 new members. Largest Growth in South Carolina
- Ambassadors: 54% growth with 22 new Local Ambassadors appointed. Now have a total of 63 local ambassadors for our Region
- PTP - 45% growth with 48 new locations across the Region.
- More than 60 tournaments held across the Region. (These are the ones that we KNOW about, and that were celebrated on our ASR Website.
- Three USAPA Sanctioned Tournaments scheduled for 2012 and our very FIRST Skill Level Tournament was played in December in Labelle, FL.
- North and South Carolina both experienced significant growth in pickleball at their local Senior Games/Olympics, and pickleball was included very successfully, for the first time this year in the South Carolina Senior Sports Classic ( State Games)
Community Outreach/Benefit Events
- Pickled Pilgrim and Halloween Tournaments - Canton GA - Local Humane Society.
- Pickleball For Paws - Wauchula, FL - Local Animal Rescue Team.
- Spruce Creek Charity Tournament - Summerfield, FL
- The Villages - Toys for Tots, Wildwood Soup Kitchen
- Veterans Day Tournament, Carolina Lakes, SC - Hidden Wounds - ($5000 in donations)
- Jacksonville, NC Benefit Tournament
- Choose to Lose Program - Myrtle Beach, SC
- KROC Center Grand Opening - August, GA
For the Kids
- North Davidson High School, Davey County, NC
- Socastee High School - Myrtle Beach, SC
- St Andrews Catholic School - Myrtle Beach, SC
- After School Program, Jacksonville Commons Gym, NC
- Riverside Recreation Center Boys and Girls Club of York County, SC
- Kids Fitness Festival - Palm Beach, FL
- Indian Land Middle School - SC
For the elderly and Special Needs
- Brightwater Assisted Living , GA
- Adult Special Needs consumers of Horey County, SC
- Health Week at the Continuing Care Retirement Community - NC
- Health Day @ Ocean Lakes Resort, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Health First - Space Coast, FL
In The News
- CBS Morning Show - from The Villages, Fl
- PBA30 - Atlanta, and the Cherokee Tribune features the North GA, Pickleball Club
- St. Petersburg Times features Pickleball Guinness Record
- WXII, NBC TV - Winston -Salem - Pickleball featured on “Girl Talk”
- Channel 10 News - Pickleball in Pinellas Park, FL
Going the extra mile
- Dave Majick of Avon Park, FL took the lead in setting up the South Central Florida Pickleball League (SCFPL). The first year was an absolute success as players from Highlands Ridge (Avon, Park), Solivita (Poinciana), Tanglewood (Sebring), Lake Ashton (Winter Haven and Rainbow RV Resort (Frostproof) competed during the 2010/2011 winter season. The Solivita Team emerged as the Championship Winners. Everyone is hoping that the Leagure resumes this season. Link to story
- Guinness Record for the Longest Pickleball Game - Jeff Baker and Justin Lawrence, both employees of the New Port Richey Recreation and Aquatic Center, attempted a Guinness World Record for the longest continuous play at the game of Pickleball—quite a feat. And on June 25th and 26th they played for 24 hours straight - achieving a Guinness World Record. Link to story
The Atlantic South Region celebrates pickleball growth across the country through the ASR Website and their monthly ASR Pickleball Newsletter. A special THANK YOU to our Ambassadors, and to all the players across the Region!